Sunday, January 31, 2010

China

It was a big week here at Cookie Cutter. It was the kind of week that forced me to stay indoors and not fight the fact that I had to do so. "Just go with the flow," I had to tell myself as I looked in the blue eyes of my goopy-nosed toddler.

Plus, there's plenty to do right here, right under my nose. Right in my basement, in fact.

Did I tell you that I had a flood in my basement this past Christmas Eve? It was the craziest December ever; it shouldn't have surprised me that it flooded. The hubs and I did the best we could to clean it up, salvage what we could and throw away what we should.

After a very weary Christmas Eve evening, we closed the door to the basement and, honestly, I hoped to never see it again. But... the silver lining to the flood is that it washed up some beautiful treasures that I had forgotten I had in my possession.



Such as?

Well, I found some china that some beautiful women in my life have given me.


Some belonged to my grandmother, some my great-grandmothers. I'm not a froo-froo sort of girl who collects china, but I'm a sentimental one and I refuse to let these pieces be forgotten. They remind me of very special women. I hope to put them in my dining room in some kind of funky cluster arrangement.

(Side note: I have no idea what the purpose was for these "hen and chicks" china... Hmmm.)



And this lavendar flowered one? My MOM painted that one.

Can I tell you why these women were special to me?

My great grandmother loved to do crafts with me and my sister. We would fill sachets with lavender and hand sew the edges. Sometimes we'd take her old unused church offering envelopes, fill them with seeds and seal them. Then we'd write "10¢" on them and hope to sell them.

My materal grandmother (as well as my mother) taught me to sew. I have fond memories of spending time during the summer in my grandmother's sewing room.

So when I found china that they used to own and probably used, I was reminded of them and their contribution to my life.

Ooo... What fun it will be to find a real home for them.