Monday, January 4, 2010

Married With Children... And Remodeling

After a heart-to-heart with the responsible mother side of myself, I realized that I could get some home projects done with a little creative thinking.

1. I got some help with the children.
The occasional babysitter worked wonders. I've hired a sitter for an hour or two while I make decisions or reorganize a space.
Bonus: Thing One and Thing Two loved new playmates. And I loved the solace.
Let's consider the benefits:
Sitters make some pocket cash.
I get some free time.
Children get attention.

It's good all around.

2. I picked the jobs I should and should not do.
Painting the dining room?
Sure, I could do it, but was it wise with two small curious children running around the main part of the house? Not so much.

I could paint the upstairs laundry, however. It had doors that could close so little hands could not reach.

Verdict: Hire out painting dining room. Paint upstairs laundry myself.

3. Slow and steady wins the race.
It's easy to give up on dreams of ambiance in the home. It takes so long with young children. Prior to children, Dan and I would get up very early, grab a bagel and some coffee and remodel the house until evening. It was so much fun and, well, so much work.

When Morgan was born, I found out quickly that she did not share our love of home remodeling. I recall her wailing in her baby saucer while I applied paint to an office wall. *sigh* Not one of my prouder moments.

Now, Dan and I take a good hard look at the children's energy level before we even think about going to a store like Lowe's. Or Home Depot. Or *gasp* IKEA. And we are not above bribing for good behavior. A one dollar soft ice cream cone has forgiven us even the most atrocious shopping trips.

The process is a lot slower now, but it gets done eventually. More importantly, the people I care about most are still by my side at the end of a drywall-sanding, primer-applying day.