Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Box

Years ago, when Dan and I were having fun at a thrift store, I saw this old silverware box. The flatware was long gone and the price tag was an appealing $10.


I had no use for a silverware storage box. I did not need it whatsoever.

So I bought it.

(Huh?)

I know, I know. But wait, it gets better:

Then I brought it home and promptly put it in storage. For years.

Why did I buy this? I'm not entirely sure, but this font was so retro fun and, um, made me buy it.

I bought something I didn't need, didn't particularly want and wouldn't use and put it in my house to rot. It's a sad story of consumerism, but it has a happy ending.

Lately I've been challenging myself to really look within the walls of my own house and see if I have solutions for design right under my nose. I really dislike waste and I'm on a mission to gradually clear my house of excess stuff that takes up space and has no meaning or purpose.

I was swooning over some jewelry boxes recently at some stores and, upon realizing that I didn't want to spend $100-$200 on a box, I remembered this purchase.

"Look at the lovely drawers," I said to myself.

"What are those white clippy things on the inside?" my alter ego said.

Who cares? It has storage. And a pretty font. But mostly storage. Use it!

So I did. And then I smiled. Because something that was misused was now used well.


This took five minutes. Tops.

(Ba hahaaaa) *Ahem*
It wasn't difficult at all.

Cost: Ten bucks.
And my pride for storing random boxes in the first place.

I'd like to tell you that I let my daughters help me put my necklaces in the box. That would've been "very cool mom" of me. But I know my daughters. And I know that asking them to put my jewelry (which they couldn't have) and put it in a box (with which they were not allowed to play) would only invite envy. And tantrums.

But that's just my house. You'd probably do just fine having little fingers help you. It's certainly safe.