Thursday, April 8, 2010

Vinyl Application: Wet Method

*In my earlier post on applying vinyls to my glass table, I noted that the wet method seemed to dry cloudy. After several days, the vinyls DID dry to their normal clearness. Just thought I should mention that.*

Applying vinyls has been an interesting experiment for me.
Because the vinyls I'm using are large and clear, it's important to get the right application.

First, I should note that because these placemats are adhered to the underside of my table, I had them cut in reverse so they would read HELLO MY NAME IS
and not SI EMAN YM OLLEH.
Got it?

Step One:
In the pic below, I have taped off with masking tape the place where I want my vinyl "placemat" to adhere. Then, I spray it with a light mist of water mixed with a few drops of dish detergent.


Step Two:
I lay the vinyl on the wet table area and, because it is wet, I'm able to move it easily into position.


Step Three:
Take a credit card or piece of hard plastic and push out the air bubbles.
Then squeeze out all the water to the edges and soak up the wet parts with a towel.


See the air bubbles? They're goin' down.


See? It's improving already.


Step Four:
Let the vinyl dry for an hour or so until the vinyl shows some adherence to the surface. It will probably want to come up a little, as shown here.


But you just need to ease it back into place. It's like putting a baby back to bed when she wakes up in the middle of the night. Shhhh, little one, back to sleep.


Here's a pic of the placemats on my table. They make me smile whenever I look at them.


Now here's something I TOTALLY hadn't anticipated... in the sun, the placemats cast a cool shadow on my deck.
HELLO MY NAME IS...
HELLO MY NAME IS...
HELLO MY NAME IS...
HELLO MY NAME IS...

and I just want to say EMILY!

My name is EMILY, you crazy placemats.


Look friendly, placemats, 'cause you're gonna meet my friends this summer.