Thursday, April 29, 2010

Pergola Dreams



I saw my first pergola when I was a teenager. I was working at a beach house inn and from the second floor I could peer into my neighbor's back yard and see it. I took a picture.

Years later, our neighbors built one from cedar. It was dreamy and enchanting.

So when our new home lacked any shade whatsoever in our south facing back yard, I knew what I wanted ever so badly.

"Let's build a pergola," I mentioned to my husband.
He probably just smiled at me--the same way he smiled at me when I suggested we have a baby.

Last year, sad things happened in our life and I felt the need for protection.
I prayed for it, for great big protection.
The image of the pergola came to mind again.

"Please, honey?"
I even promised to do my part. I'd save up for the whole thing.

How could something as romantic as wanting a pergola take so much time and effort?
(Rolling eyes... I'm a MOTHER and I asked that question?)

The homeowner's association wanted us to show them a plat of survey.
And wanted to know if it was going to be some crazy color. Like purple.

Then the city wanted to make sure they approved.
(Sixty one dollars and permit in hand.)

The utilities company wanted to stake their claim, too.
Something about underground wires before we dig...

The patio guy gave us a quote.
We gave him a thumbs up.
He told us to remove the deck.

"Free deck" read the Craigslist ad we ran.
And within one hour we had two people who really wanted it.
(LOVE Craigslist.)


So now we have a lawn with no deck, some great play dirt (rolling eyes) and some magical little flags which our toddler thinks are fun to walk around with.


Eve likes how they flap in the wind. And the pretty colors are tempting as well.


I'm not sure what these spheres are which were found under the deck, but some sporty friends of mine tell me they are "wiffle balls" left from the previous owner.
(Enter evil laugh here....)
I think I'll find a craft project to do with them.

"Let's build a pergola," said the artsy woman who had no idea what it would take.
"Okay," smiled the patient husband who knew it would take more than expected.

Groundbreaking is May 3rd.