Friday, April 30, 2010

Chair Debacle

Have you ever had one of those days where you're wondering, "Um, what just happened here?" or better yet, "If I had stayed in bed, would that have been better?"

_______________________

So yesterday I was minding my own business and being a good wife by selling a baby gate on Craigslist. (I love Craigslist... I had 4 people who wanted it in no time at all.)

And then I saw this dreamy vintage chair:

Isn't it formal and informal and soft but tailored and everything rolled into one? *Swoon*

It was $85.
I asked the hubs if it could be my Mother's Day present (yes!) and then I made an appointment to see this chair.

For the record, I fully intended to buy this chair.
I was already hooked.
I was prepared to drive the 3 hours for this chair. THREE HOURS. WITH A BABY IN TOW.
I wanted it. Bad.

But the chair was not cream as I had imagined it.
It was not cream as the picture had led me to believe.
It was peach.

Daggone it.

I can't work with peach. I can work with almost any color except peach, mauve or teal.
Stink.

I looked the chair over and because I didn't have a CLUE as to how much re-upholstery would cost, I passed.

I called my friend Steph (who makes sewing look magical and easy all at once) and she told me that to reupholster might cost $300-500.

I don't know.

Did I do the right thing?

I can't go back. It took three hours.
Actually four, because baby girl needed a stop.

I started the day confident that a new chair would be in my living room this evening.

Did I do the right thing?