Sunday, March 14, 2010

Seasonal Decor

It's harder for me these days to find decor that is safe from little one-year-old hands. It just is.

But I refuse to give up because I like purdy things.

Plus, I like to celebrate the outdoor change of seasons by reflecting it with inside decor.

Remember this photo (see below)?

Focus on the sconce-like hurricane to the right of the mirror... I love this thing. I bought two from Pottery Barn a while ago after I oogled it for ages in the catalog. I haven't regretted buying it one bit. It's safe from little hands and offers me a fun place for decorating. There are some things worth investing in... This was worth it to me.


So today's post is how I decorated with it this past week.
First, I determined how much money I wanted to spend:

Zero.

But fortunately I had some design stuff lying around that allowed me to spend very little money.
First, I took a look at an old calendar I kept.
Hmmmm...
I have an idea...


First I'll take my glass hurricane...


... and stuff the bottom of it with rags.
Then, I'll load them up with fake lemons.

They are available at Target for about $5 for a pack of 8, I think.
I bought 4 packs with a gift card I had forgotten I received.
(Don't you *love* when that happens? It's like free money.)

Even so, fake lemons are so versatile for decorating with.
I wouldn't use real lemons because, well, we all remember what happened when I decorated with real pumpkins on my buffet.


Then I put the hurricane in its iron-looking frame on the wall.

Remember that calendar I mentioned? I cut it up and...


... slipped it in front of and behind the hurricane.
It reminds me of all the travel I'd love to do.


I cut the pages high enough to cover the rags in the bottom of the hurricane.


Later I was thinking, if I didn't have the wall hanger for my hurricane, I'd simply use twine to hold the papers wrapped around the glass in some swanky way. Or use some invisible tape.

I love decorating.