Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Candles

Several months ago I got a new countertop.

I didn't intend to get a new countertop, but that's what happens when I throw a squirming child's bib on top of a candle.
Isn't it lovely:


I'm very thankful that no one was hurt.

I light candles a lot in my house. Especially in the evening when my lovely daughters become grumpy and restless and set the mood to "unruly".

But I feel conflicted about lighting candles because of this wonderfully curious little creature:


(Do you see her hair? She's growing hair!)

*ahem*

So here was my solution:

First, I purchased these great candles for about six bucks.
They're about 2" tall.
I like them because they are already in glass containers, so there is less mess.



Does everyone have at least one hurricane?
Because I can think of a million uses for these things.
And almost all of them are child friendly.


This is a placemat I found at Pottery Barn on clearance. I think it was $3. In any case, I didn't know at the time that I would use it for this project, but I loved the look.


One hurricane +
One placemat +
One helper=
Fun!


"What are you doing, Mom? Can I help?"
"Sure can, sweetie! Why don't you pour this sand?"


Just hearing the sand pour reminds me that summer is coming.
It feels good to the fingers, too.


Putting the candles in their places...


And lighting them.


I have had evenings where both children are crying and Dan isn't scheduled to come home for another hour, but when I light these candles and put on some soft music, everyone seems to be happier.

If you don't count buying the supplies, this project takes 5 minutes.

Hurricane- $20-40
Candles- $6
Sand- $5
Placemat- $5
Total= $26-$46

The initial cost might be steep, but I always have sand and stones on hand as well as a few hurricanes for various projects.
They're great to have around.

It's fun to include children in decorating.
This is definitely a "two thumbs up" child-safe project for school aged children.

Easy peasy!