Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Dining Room Wall

A few months ago, this was my dining room wall. I'm showing you the ugliest wall because it makes the after pics looks better. The wall was brown (not terrible, but not yummy, either) and had a patch on it.


And then we painted it a light and dark green from the olive family. I got the "inspiration" from the colors from our rug because I didn't want it to clash.


And then... the chalkboard plates were made. I had so much fun making these.


What's more, I love how I can make the dining room look fun and frisky or tone it down to look more sophisticated.


I put up three different sets of plates. And here are the tools I love to use for any wall hanging:

Of course you've already heard about the Disc Hangers, so I'll move on...

1. Mounting putty.
T'aint pretty but it's kind to the walls and helps those silly pictures from sliding in a cock-eyed fashion. Put it behind picture frames or mirrors and it will give it a grip.

2. Floral wire.
For some reason, floral wire rescues me on so many craft projects. In this case, one of my plates had a few small holes that I needed to thread something small through in order to hang the plate. Of course actual frame hanging wire would do well also. :)

3. A Hammer.
Mind if I say "duh"?


4. Assortment of anchors, screws and nails.
More "duh".


Here is me modeling how easy it is to use the Disc Hanger. *Love it*.


"Easy peasy lemon squeezy," as my Morgan says.


Voila!


We interrupt this program to let you know what crazy thing Morgan has created out of Legos. It's an "invention train"... essentially, a train with inventions on it.


For using the Mounting Putty, take a blob and put it behind the item you're hanging. It needs to touch the wall... for obvious reasons.
(Side note: Did you know I was a hand model for Rolodex? I'll have to show pics one day.)


This is what the hanging job looked like before and...


...after. :)

When I walk in my dining room now, I'm surrounded by plates of happiness. They remind me of people I know and love.

Now get thee to a home improvement store and buy some Mounting Putty.