Monday, August 6, 2012

Ode to August

I'm immersed in summer.

Schedules are loose. Only a suggestion, really.

We rely on energy levels and weather to tell us what to do that day.

It's a respite from the sounds of school bells.

We eat lunch at a different time each day. But we start each day the same: with quietness, reading, coffee and conversation. 6:30am coffee and conversation. Beautiful.

I shun things that look like paperwork. I laugh at the intricacies of insurance companies. I play their game for now. I only vaguely remember the harried season of school days just 2 months ago.

Friends are eager for their children to be in school. But this is Chicago. We need to soak in every last pool day and sun-drenched morning. We need to resist looking at winter coats in catalogs. Pretend we live on an island. A very, very hot island. Winter is never coming. It is only warm every day.

It's time to quiet the mind before fall returns. Unplug.