Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Training

I'm in the midst of potty training. To any non-parent, this is the point where they veer sharply to the right of the blog road and get off as soon as possible. Understood.

But to those anticipating this blessed event or who have recently undertook such an adventure, I find that they like to talk.

My initial thoughts on this journey is that it is a "hurry up and wait" experience, which is somehow simultaneously stressful and boring. Additionally, it's not the kind of adventure where you can say "Time out! I'd like to take a break." Nope. We're on the Concorde to Pottyville and there are no stops or layovers, baby. Strap in.

There are some adorable stages to training. The first being that preschoolers have no shame whatsoever and find underpants somewhat useless. Some of my friends recommended buying special princess or themed underwear for the occasion, but I can tell with a good deal of certainty that my daughter does not care if her princess-clad undies get a rain shower or not.

I did cave, however, when I thought to buy an M&Ms dispenser. Total overkill, I know, but it's novelty and it'll get her attention. She loves it, by the way.

Dan came home yesterday and asked about the progress. Frankly, if you put your mind to the task, you can do anything, I told him. Anyone who knows me and how I bail on projects knows how ironic this is. But she is my daughter and not a project, which helps. :)

The laundry room coughed a sigh of relief at bedtime last night. It was running non-stop yesterday as the floors and some clothing got some "spot cleaning" for lack of a better word.

Grace comes in various forms. I was most thankful for my friend's little daughter coming over yesterday. She was trained just a few weeks ago and showed Eve the ropes. There is such a thing as positive peer pressure. I embrace it heartily.

I have a friend who said that when she taught her son to be potty trained she felt like, and I quote, a "genius".

I don't feel like a genius.

Yesterday I felt excited.

Last night I felt less excited, more like glad.

Today I perch precariously between feeling "glad" and "weary", like a committed mother who loves to see her child grow and learn and try.

I flushed all the other feelings away.