Thursday, August 19, 2010

Ten Year Vows


Dear Dan,
If I married you again, knowing what I do now, the vows would go something like this:

I want to be with you in your highs and lows.

I want to be the quiet hand that slips into your hand during the storm.

I want to be the deliriously screaming woman when we hear that you're accepted.
At a new school.
At a new job.

I want to have your babies and I want them to be big, fat babies... AFTER I give birth to them.

I want to build a mudroom with you and then roll my eyes when you actually get mud in it.

I want to laugh with you during totally inappropriate times.
Like during church hymns that say funny words.
And solemn TV shows.

I want to share a knowing look with you when our daughter knocks on our door because she's scared at night... and wants a sleepover with us.

I want to walk down every path of life with you.
The wedding aisle for starters.
Hospital halls... the sad ones AND happy ones.

I want to kiss you in front of our children and watch them make faces of disgust; secretly they'll like it.

I want to be the woman who forgives because I have been forgiven a hundred thousand more times than you.

I want to look fabulous for you, especially at forty. And make you smile at the new lines in my face because of all our life and laughter.

I want to flirt with you in public and pretend we just met. Even though we've been together a decade. Flirt, flirt, flirt.

And when we're older and tired, I want to ease gently into heaven with you and cause a new raucous with you there.