Monday, June 14, 2010

Wax Paper Leaves

When I was a young girl, I had the privilege of knowing my great-grandmother. She taught me how to sew lavender pouches and how to take the seeds out of money plants. And... she taught me how to iron wax paper sheets together and trap pretty leaves between the sheets.

I thought she was brilliant.

_____________________

After Morgan and I went to the arboretum and collected our leaves, I knew exactly what we would do with them.

I took a tea towel and put two sheets of wax paper on it. I put the leaves between them.

And then I ironed them.

I quickly learned that ironing them at TOO HOT a temperature will make the wax UNSTICK. A medium temp will do just fine. And I cannot stress enough that the tea towel must be on BOTH sides of the wax paper sandwich or else wax will stick to the iron or the board.

The Gingko leaves were my favorite.


It's so neat to observe the different shapes of leaves.

We labeled the leaves and put them in a binder for safe-keeping.
These are a little fragile. You'll want to "leaf" them alone.

*Sorry... had to add that pun.*