Monday, June 14, 2010

Leaves- Activity 3


I'm not a homeschooling Mom. Repeat: NOT a homeschooling Mom.

However... I am giving Morgan themes for each week she is home for summer vacation. And this particular week, it was leaves.

We have a membership to our local arboretum, so I took the kiddos there. They have really cool sculptures there right now:



Morgan and I took leaves from trees and wrote down their names as we put them in our Ziploc baggies. (Don't look too enthused, dear.)


After our "homework", I took the munchkins to the Children's Garden.


It was blessedly hot, so I dressed Eve in the shirt/dress I made her this year out of a vintage tablecloth.


She enjoyed herself very much and didn't even mind that she was dressed in table linens.


I had to show Morgan the snapdragon flowers. As a child, I was enamored with them.


After Morgan and I have a field trip, I try to stretch it out by drawing upon that theme all week.

So the next day, I taught Morgan how to make a family tree. I cut out a tree shape and then we cut leaves with family member's names on it and put them in the appropriate place.
I wish I had an "after" pic of the tree with the leaves, but -alas- the tree didn't last for too long. I forgot to take pics immediately.
And the baby ripped off leaves. *Serenity*
So you'll just have to imagine little leaves with names of family members taped all over it.

But... I can tell you that making a family tree was really fun. And even though my family is a little splintered right now, I still want my children to value their roots.

So there you have it: A day at the arboretum and a family tree project.