Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Christmas Giving

We are unemployed. This is a heavy statement to make, but at Christmastime it's ten times stronger because everyone is giving, giving, giving and it's hard to be wise with money but generous in heart at the same time. Tricky.

I'm reminded of the story of Elijah and the poor widow woman. He approaches her at a time in life where she was on the brink of total deprivation of food. She can't even bake bread. She only has flour and oil. Even if you were a master chef on the Food Network you can't make anything wonderful out of two ingredients like that. "See? You dip the dusty flour in the oil and then you make a paste that will have ALL your friends asking for the recipe."

So Elijah comes to her and says, "I need water and bread." Wait... let me back up... God TOLD him to go to her in her poor state and ask this. God says, "Go to Zarephath and a widow will give you food."

So he goes. He asks. And she reveals, "As surely as the LORD God lives, I don't have any bread... only flour and a little oil. I'm gathering these sticks to take home and make a meal for me and my son that we may eat it and then die."

Translation: "Sweet mercy, stranger, I'm depressed and tired and completely depleted and you have the audacity to not only NOT help me but to ask something of me. You stink. God bless you. Off you go."

But Elijah persists because God has something wonderful planned. And every day that she gives first, her oil is never dry and her flour is always available. It's not steak and potatoes, but it's something. It's daily bread. Simple, daily bread.

So in the midst of this stretching time God suggested to me, "Hey Em... You know that fledgling business you have? Sweet Mercy Design? I want you to give the profits from some of those calendars to children." I quieted my threadbare heart and said, "Okay, fine. I'll do it." And then, amazingly, $300 came in for these children. I marveled.

I don't understand why my fantastic husband with a stellar resume is not being offered goo-gobs of jobs at his choosing, but I do know this: God is faithful to his children. So Dan and I take the flour and oil paste of our day, link arms with gaze toward God and throw some coffee down our throats for good measure. We don't have the heart to think two, three, four or six months down the road, but we do have enough for today. And for that we are thankful.

We arm our minds with encouragement from Scripture and this simple truth: God loves us.

May God quiet your fears this Christmas season. May He show you how great His love is for you. May He overwhelm you with His peace... the kind of peace that doesn't make any sense in the midst of the storm. And may He grant you the daily bread so that you may live.

Shalom.