Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Diary of a Mother

I am in the thick of motherhood.
And every single one of my other friends with young children can relate to the term "thick".

I'm not saying this to receive praise or pity. It just is.

And so I don't forget what the "thick" looks like, I'll document it so I remember.
This is not to make me sound important or whiny or busy or incredible. It just is.

It. Just. Is.

Yesterday woke up with great plans to do sewing with Morgan (who had a day off).
Woke up darling, crazy-haired Eve. Love her hugs.
Marveled at how beautiful Morgan is, especially her beautiful heart.
Said goodbye to wonderful mother and father in law who visited for the weekend.
Wished they could stay.
Folded laundry with children. Talked with them. Talked at them.
Eve went upstairs and took all the clean washclothes she could find, put them in a sink and filled them with water. Left them there. Then she took liquid soap and "fed" my plant.
I found them when I was supposed to be off for the gym.
Don't leave wet things around; we have a moth problem and moths like moist things... I think.
Eve wets pants. Convince Eve she needs to have her pants changed. Bribe Eve. Commit to fully potty training her after the MOPS Garage Sale. Commit! Commit!
Now we're off to the gym.
Really enjoyed Morgan's conversation. Something about how people who are in game shows who don't win should get Starbucks gift cards. Her idea. We don't even watch game shows. (?)
Went to gym. Enjoyed new Katie Herzig songs while I worked out. Still trying to get back in the swing of working out since the car collision/whiplash thing.
Went to McDs to get lemonade for children. "We only serve Strawberry Lemonade, ma'am... the icy kind."
Me, baptizing new car in Strawberry Lemonade sludge as I divide it for children. Note to self: Bad idea. Very bad idea.
Off to Lowes to buy plants for our veggie garden. Girls picked some beauties.
Came home to plant garden. After 2 minutes of starting said venture, daughter #1 immediately declares "I hate summer. I hate bugs" and bails on mission. We have a chat and start over.
Eve is in need of a pants change again but is happily playing at the water table.
Water table= Best investment ever.
Girls go inside for "quiet time" and I call back insurance guy. Who needs me to call medical billing. Then insurance guy again. Then medical billing again. Insurance guy recommends hiring attorney.
My brain begins to vomit about needing mulch in yard, needing to mow yard, need fence repaired, need to wear orthodontic retainer, need to fix A/C unit and many other things.
Blue eyed, wild haired child invites me to play on swingset. I go to second level of playset with her, grimace at the one piece of rotting wood and draw with her. I have her sit in my lap and feel her wispy hair tickle my chin. We're drawing. I'm happy. I'm happy to hold her in my lap for a little while. Such a treasure. She goes to collect more treasures and bring them up. "Don't leave, Mommy," she warns. I don't leave. I don't want to go in the house. The phone keeps ringing. I'm safe here.
We have leftovers for dinner.
We marvel at the funny little floppy headed baby robins in our pergola. That mother must be exhausted from feeding them.
Dan and I put the children in bed and head into bed at 8:30.
I dream of living on a desert island with my family.
Oh yeah, do sewing with Morgan some day.
Love my family.