Thursday, January 26, 2012

Friendship

I wrote this post a while ago but didn't publish it. I like to look at people I admire and see how I can be like them. Here goes:

_________________________________

Today I am reflecting on the many wonderful people who have encouraged me in the past year and how they made me feel special with their actions and words.

Like my Mom, who asks caring questions like, "What good food will you eat this week?". (She's a foodie, like me.) There's a whole post on all the things I love about my Mom.

Or my mentor, Shari. When I first met her I thought she was out of my friendship league. (Whatever that means.) And then I saw how she used her organizational skills to show hospitality. And how she's gracious at all times in her words. I asked her to be my mentor, she said "yes" and now I see the world a little differently.

Or my girlfriends who don't allow bankruptcy or murder or sickness or gossip get the better of them. They allow themselves to be made new.

With those things in mind, these are qualities I'd like to keep in the forefront of my mind as I interact with others; these are the qualities I love about my respected friends.

1. Look deeply in the eyes of the person you are talking to.
When your eyes are focused on a person's eyes, it's really hard to let your mind wander elsewhere.

2. Ask follow up questions when someone shares a story.
Isn't that the best, when someone takes a genuine interest?

3. Make treats for someone.
Cookies. Brownies. Muffins. Baked goods= love.

4. If you like something about someone, tell them.
And make it specific. Don't just say, "I like your hair." Say something extra like, "Wow, your highlights make your eyes so bright!"

5. Pay attention to older people.
Listen to their view. Picture them in their prime and ask them about their life.
Marvel at their modesty.
Be mindful of what their life, their economy, what their world was like at your age.

6. When people act unlovely, remind yourself that you have acted unlovely as well.
Surround your mind with memories of people who have loved you in various stages of life.

7. Tell your mother you love her.
Encourage any person who spends their days nurturing life into others.

8. When you feel your self esteem dropping in the presence of an amazing person, be courageous enough to not compare.
Root yourself in God.
Appreciate how God made you in particular.
Strive to love the amazing person.

9. Be emotionally balanced: Enter BOTH the joys and sorrows of friends.
If you only enter the sorrows, that leads to a savior complex.
If you only enter the joys, the shallow roots of friendship can never truly sprout.
Sun and rain are necessary for growth.

10. Pray for your friendships.
Even the easiest friendships can grow barnacles of irritation.
Continue to love and show kindness.

Thankful for you, friends.