Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Burlap Runner

Recently in a certain catalog, I saw images of burlap and fun uses of type.


It gave me an idea for my MOPS group craft: Burlap table runners.
First, I printed out large letters in a few different fonts.


Then I slid the paper under the burlap. I wanted to make sure that the letters shown through because...


... I was going to take a Sharpie permanent marker and gently rub it against the burlap to make it look like an old potato or coffee sack.


From far away, it had a neat effect. I had to play around with the pressure of my Sharpie, but I found a groove.


One of the runners looked like this:



I also tried one with lots of words covering the entire runner. That one was especially fun.


It was like a big puzzle. Whenever I found an open space, I tried to find a word that would fit or simply used some other graphics elements to fill the space: a star or asterisk for example.


I wish I could tell you that burlap is washable.
It's not machine washable, but you can spot clean it.
The best part is that this project is relatively inexpensive.
Burlap runs $3 a yard. Most places have coupons to get it half off.

These runners were 14" wide by 72" long.
Two yards of burlap made 3 runners with a little extra burlap for fun.

Hope my MOPS friends will enjoy the craft!